[STDS-802-11-TGBC] Discussion on GCR NDP feedback

Hello everyone,

Regarding my proposal (DCN20/1976r2) on reducing feedback overhead, I have received some comments during the telconf yesterday. I 'd like to continue the discussion through email reflector.

I’d like to response some of the comments as follows:

1.        This mechanism is an optional feature based on basic NFRP Trigger. Supporting this feature is very easy for a STA that has support NFRP Trigger for resource request. The discussion of basic NFTP trigger is out of scope of this group.

2.        This feature is a supplementary to GCR MU BAR mechanism. For a AP supporting this mechanism, it up to the AP when and how to use this NDP feedback mechanism. The gain brought by this feature is significant for a large number of recipients. Of course, the gain would be lower if very few associated STAs supporting NDP feedback, and the worse performance would be the same as what it is now. So the overall performance would not be degraded regardless the popularity of NDP feedback feature.

3.        To include this mechanism in 11bc, we just need to add a feedback type in NFRP Trigger frame and no changes are made to the PHY. The changes to the spec are specified in DCN21/0122r2 (I’d like to thank Mark Rison for his careful review).

4.        We have very solid use cases from market, VR education & training, multimedia classroom, live streams in stadium/lecture hall, etc. There might be more in the future since multicast is so efficient transmitting traffics requiring high bandwidth. Improving feedback efficiency is of great importance for those scenarios.

Please let me know if you have any further comments or questions.

Regards

Boyce