Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBC] New text for the Negotiation Method description of clause 9

Hello Antonio,

- "This is ANQP, it should be written in terms of STA, since ANQP is always described in terms of STA and not non-AP or AP."

But does a non-AP STA ever transmit an Enhanced Broadcast Services ANQP-element?

From what that ANQP-element contains it seems to me that it is always

sent by an EBCS AP

[AO] We have solved multiple comments going into this direction and always agreed within the group that we should use STA. I think it should stay as STA even if you are right concerning that no non-AP STA is going to send it.

I do not recall a discussion in which we said that "STA" should

be used in situations where the STA in question had to be an AP.

I think it is confusing to talk of a "STA" sending a particular

frame that can in fact only be sent by an AP.

- I still don't understand what "may consider that the ANQP frame can be unsecured or unauthenticated"

means.  I do think the whole para should be a NOTE anyway

[AO] Moved to a Note as requested. What we wanted to say here is that ANQP frames, in general, are not secured or authenticated, so it is an advice to the implementer of the security aspects related to the use of ANQP as a source of information for service discovery.

You can't have a "may" in a NOTE.  This is my point: "may consider"

is a normative statement that an option is allowed, but I think

here you're just trying to make a general observation, something like:

NOTE—An EBCS traffic stream received from the content address signaled in an Enhanced Broadcast Services ANQP-element might be provided by a malicious user, since the ANQP-element is [might be?] unsecured.

There is another comment in the last page:

- Why?  Why not just make the subfield reserved in this case?

And the text where it is placed:

image.png
Sorry but I cannot understand what you mean by making it reserved.

The idea is that for the ANQP Request and EBCS Info frame Negotiation Methods, you may be associated or not depending on the Association Requried subfield.

I mean something like:

If the Negotiation Method field indicates a request using EBCS Request frames, then the Association Required subfield of the Control field is reserved. Otherwise, the value of the Association Required subfield of the Control field indicates the required association state of the STA requesting and receiving the EBCS traffic stream.

This should probably go to Clause 9, actually, since it's format not behaviour.

Thanks,

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk