[STDS-802-11-TGBE] Guidelines for Running Straw Polls Online

Hello all,

Please find below some guidelines that we will be following to run strawpolls during the TGbe MAC ad-hoc meeting and subsequent conference calls. These guidelines are valid for WebEx (tomorrow we will test Zoom as well to see if we can do something similar there as well. As for Join.me it appears it does not have the polling feature).

  1. Each member that intends to join the conference call and vote needs to:

1)    Ensure that their name and affiliation is listed in the participants list

·         If you are not properly identified in the participants list, your vote will be removed from the straw polls results

2)    Ensure that they join the conference call online before dialing in, in order to ensure that name and affiliation appear in the participants list

·         Audio connection via cellphone or landline can be achieved by having WebEx calling the phone number or by dialing in using the identification numbers provided when joining online

  1. One or more Straw Polls can be run for each presentation (no motions allowed)

1)    Straw Poll will first be shown on the screen (after discussions as usual))

2)    Chair will then copy the straw poll and display it via the conference call’s polling system

·         A straw poll can allow either a single choice response or multiple choice responses (e.g., vote for as many as you like); single choice will be used by default unless presenter indicates otherwise

3)    A Pop-Up window with the SP will appear for each member that is online

·         The Chair will remind members to cast their vote and will announce the end of the vote, after which no more voting can take place

·         Members are invited to cast their vote in a timely fashion, otherwise they will miss the window of vote and be unable to cast their vote

·         Choose carefully! The system will not allow a vote to be changed once the vote has been submitted, even if the SP is still open for voting

·         After a reasonable time (1 min or so) the chair will close the poll

4)    The Outcome of the SP is reported to the group and will be noted in the meeting minutes, as usual

·         Note: Votes cast by unidentified members may be removed, so please ensure that name and affiliation are correct

Note 1: Note that where a group of individuals is attending in common through a single dial in, there is only one vote available and therefore, all participants who wish to vote need to individually sign into the meeting to be included in the participant list.

Note 2: This is the first time that such a system is being used for this purpose and as such we will learn/adjust as we go.

Let me know if you have any questions and/or suggestions.

Best Regards,

Alfred

--
Alfred Asterjadhi, PhD