[STDS-802-11-TGBE] Preamble Puncturing for OFDMA PPDUs, 11-20/483

Hi Jianhan,

Following the last discussion about contribution 483 I feel that there were some misunderstandings regarding the SPs.

A reminder for SP1 (SP2 is the same except for the puncturing pattern which is 1010):

       Do you agree to allow puncturing structure 1001 in a given 80MHz segment for OFDMA PPDUs transmitted to STAs operating at BW>=80MHz?

       Assuming 2 content channels are used

       Puncturing signaling may be different for different 80MHz channels

       In 802.11ax in such cases the BW drops to 20MHz

You said that these patterns contradict with what is already defined in the SFD and that OFDMA puncturing patterns are defined as a subset of the non-OFDMA patterns.

Well, the only definition in the SFD regarding puncturing is that puncturing will be supported for both PPDUs transmitted to multi STAs and single STA (section 2.4.5)

Maybe you meant to say that large RU combination of 242+242 (either 1001 or 1010) are not supported in OFDMA and I agree with that.

But this has nothing to do with puncturing in OFDMA. These SPs do not suggest to allow multi RU of 242+242 to the same STA. They suggest to allow, for example (see figure below) one RU242 for one STA and another RU242 to a different STA (that’s why the SP discuss the OFDMA case only), hence no contradiction with the SFD.

I’m sure that allowing support for such preamble puncturing pattern will improve the channel utilization without any contradiction to other suggestions that are being discussed.

Please let me know what you think.

BR,

Oded