Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] SP discussion about 11-20/0432r1 //: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] TGbe Teleconference [04/27/2020]: Agenda Posted

Hi Matt and all,

I agree with Matt that we need not define a new BAR for this issue, simply ensuring that the SSN is always set to the smallest SSN across links will ensure that the receive window does not advance. WinStartO (= WinEndO - WinSizeO) of the common transmission window would indicate that value.

However, I think the main point in Yunbo’s presentation, is that BAR need not be sent on both links (e.g. in case the A-MPDUs do not set the Ack policy to immediate ack or the immediate BAs are lost on both links etc.). For a recipient that is capable of providing cross-link receipt status, a single BAR-BA exchange on any one link should suffice.

Another point to clarify on this topic: from yesterday’s discussions during my contribution, it appears that most prefer the scoreboard sizes to be the same on all links. And I assume the Receive window (Rx Reordering Buffer size, Rx Buffer size for short) would also be the same size? If that is the case, wouldn’t the MLD throughput be restricted by the RX Buffer size? For example:

Example 1)

Link 1 and Link2 have same data rate; Rx Buffer size = per-link scoreboard sizes = 1024:

Link1 TX SEQ 513-1024 – No RX error

Link2 TX SEQ 1-512 – No RX error

Even though each link supports 1024 BA Bitmap, the transmissions on each link is restricted to half (512) due to the fact that the Rx Buffer is shared between the two links.

Let’s take another example (intentionally extreme case):

Example 2)

Link 1 is three times as fast as Link2; Rx Buffer size = per-link scoreboard sizes = 1024:

Link1 TX SEQ 257-1024 – No RX error

Link2 TX SEQ 1-256 - RX error on SEQ 1 - 10

Rx Buffer is stuck until SEQ1-10 are correctly received, or until the Originator decides to give up on them. Effectively, the transmission is blocked on Link1 and only SEQ1-10 can be retransmitted on Link2.

De-couping the Rx Buffer size from the scoreboard size (e.g. Rx Buffer size = n*scoreboard size, n = number of links) will allow MLDs to acieve higher efficiencies by taking full advantage of the larger BA Bitmap sizes. Sure we may need to handle some issues with cross-link transmit window misalignments, but the efficiency gains would be worth it.

Regards,

Rojan