From: Jinjing Jiang [mailto:jinjing@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 2:36 PM
To: Sharan Naribole <n.sharan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: STDS-802-11-TGBE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] Comments on "0755 Non-STR AP"

Sharan,

Thanks for the comments.

1, Our goal is simply not to rule out Non-STR AP operation in R1 by showing that making it work is truly not complicated compared with any Non-STR STA MLD operation. Currently, we are only interested in Soft AP operation, and our proposal or any similar ones could serve the very basic rules for a Non-STR AP operation. The schemes that are more involved depend on the group’s decision. Terminology-wise, either we can define a Mobile/Soft AP MLD or we can limit the scope of Non-STR AP MLD with descriptive or normative languages.

[SN]: Just the medium access protocol itself of non-STR AP seems more complicated, more restrictive compared to STR AP operation. Surely, the performance is worse than that of STR AP operation. Hence, I don’t understand why regular AP MLD will actively choose to operate as a non-STR MLD. In contrast, Soft AP MLD may have simpler design and smaller form factor so I do see motivation for that specific case. Also, the other aspects of multi-link BSS operation haven’t been addressed yet in any contribution. Therefore, it is not clear enough how much more additional complexity will be introduced due to non-STR AP operation.

Apart from EHT single link STAs and legacy devices, a non-AP MLD intending to remain active on a single link temporarily would be forced to operate on the basic link.

2, In our proposal, UL and DL use the same channel access rules.

3, I am not sure what the regulatory concern is. If you are pointing to SoftAP in 6GHz is now allowed by FCC yet, I would argue let us do not worry about that for now. When we did not have 6GHz approved by FCC yet, the group already worked to define the HE 6GHz rules. Same thing here too. Based on our estimation, FCC rules should be ready when R1 is launched.

[SN]: Actually, I was referring to the PIFS-based TXOP aggregation presented in your slides and not specific to 6 GHz. I would have to look up minutes from previous meetings for specific concerns.

4, In terms of fairness, I am not sure what exactly the problem is. If the same scenario already exists in today’s implementation/deployment, sure, it is debatable and worthy of criticism and further improvement, but it is subjective. Anyway, please elaborate.

[SN]: In your proposal and in non-STR AP operation in general, the EHT single link STA/legacy STA will be restricted to the basic link which might be on another band. For example, if we consider the PIFS-based aggregation from your slides i.e. conditional link backoff counter=0 and PIFS check on basic link, the mean backoff value for MLDs will be lower on the basic link than that of the single link STAs on basic link. Perhaps, we can redefine 802.11 backoff rules for the aggregated link.

The alternative mechanisms of Request-to-Trigger add significant airtime overhead just to enable synchronized transmissions and similarly impact medium access opportunity for devices operating only on the basic link.

Best regards,

Jinjing