Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] Discussion on MLO SSID - 0443r1

Hi Rojan, Ming, Xiaofei, and Thomas,

Thanks for the discussion and I’ve attached a diagram for easier discussion. Please refer to it if it helps to illustrate your points. Please also see my response inline below.

From: Thomas Derham <00000ad2eabc2931-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 1:04 PM
To: STDS-802-11-TGBE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] Discussion on MLO SSID - 0443r1

>> we can leave SSID for operators

>> leave SSID setting to the network operator/user like today, not need to add the restriction to .11 spec

Could you guys please clarify what you mean by this?

(1) Do we agree that, per the *current* standard, there is already a “restriction” that one BSS (which has a unique BSSID) has exactly one SSID?

[DH] Agree and that’s been my assumption.

(2) Is anyone proposing that it should be possible for one AP MLD to have more than one SSID (for MLD operation)? If so, why?

[DH] Second these questions.

(3) Is the discussion *only* about whether or not it should be possible for the BSSs that are affiliated with the same AP MLD to have different SSIDs (from each other, and/or from the AP MLD) for some kind of legacy purposes?

[DH] Yes, that’s my goal here to focus on just this aspect first. Per people’s comment it seems there are different understanding even with pure green field MLO case (no legacy clients involved).

            - Related: Are there any use cases in which a non-AP STA that supports MLO would first want to associate to a single BSS without any MLD discovery/association, and then subsequently discover/associate to the MLD device?

[DH] Not that I’m aware of. In fact, the current MLO discovery design is trying to convey MLO info pre-assoc to give the client a choice.

-Thomas