[STDS-802-11-TGBE] Clarifications on QoS management contribution (418r3)

All,

Since we were not able to cover all the questions during the discussion in MAC call earlier this week, we have uploaded a revision (418r3) with a few clarifications (see new slides 9, 10, 11). We have also updated the proposed SP#1 as follows:

  • Do you support defining a QoS mechanism so that the AP MLD and non-AP MLD can:
    1. Announce new QoS capabilities (for LLRS) of the MLD
    2. Provide traffic stream QoS description to enable classification across the MLD
    3. Use TIDs 8 - 15 to indicate a new class of QoS data streams (e.g. LLRS streams) mapped to EDCA ACs with associated QoS parameters (as defined in item 2.)
      • Note: the TID values are signaled in the QoS Control field of corresponding Data frames
      • Note: if an AP is not part of an AP MLD (legacy AP), the same mechanism would be used between the AP and a non-AP STA

Additional considerations:

  1. There is a need to enable differentiation for more than 2 traffic streams per access category (limitation in the current spec). For instance, voice, gaming, AV/VR, control/automation streams in a single device/AP will need differentiation beyond VO and VI traffic classes. See limitations in existing mechanisms in slides 9 and 10.
  2. The re-use of TIDs 8 to 15 to identify traffic streams will enable the prioritization based on new metrics (e.g. latency bound, jitter, reliability) and can be dynamically mapped to ACs
  3. HCCA, ADDTS, TSPEC provide QoS negotiation, but they are unlikely to be implemented as defined in the current spec. We propose a simplified QoS negotiation approach in the context of 11be that also incorporates/leverages MLO and enables traffic stream differentiation with the typical EDCA implementations.

Hopefully, this helps address some of the questions, but we welcome any further discussion.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Cavalcanti, PhD

Principal Engineer

Wireless Communications Research, Intel Labs

Intel Corporation

dave.cavalcanti@xxxxxxxxx