Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] [External Mail]PDT-MLO-Soft-AP-Operation

Yunbo,

Thanks for the comments. Here is my argument why it is preferred to limit Soft AP MLD to Non-STR Non-AP MLD.

1, There is NO definition on the Soft AP in IEEE 802.11 Specification;
2, However, it is a common understanding that Soft AP is the result of configuring Wi-Fi clients into an AP with limited functionality;
3, It is not necessary to define Soft AP for pre-11be devices as the IEEE 802.11 society lives very well without it for past 3 decades;
4, For Multi-Link Devices,  the AP MLD are all STR! How about Soft APs instantiated by the Non-STR Non-AP MLDs? We are not allowed to call them “Non-STR APs”. So our solution: define a term “Soft AP MLD”;
5, In terms of STR Non-AP MLD, if it is acting as a soft AP, it will just use existing rules of STR AP MLD. No need to repeat them again for Soft AP operation. It is just like we do not define Soft AP for pre-11be devices in IEEE;
6, Finally, at this stage, it might be better to be precise on the scope of the work by not including the unknowns.

Hope this is OK to you.

Jinjing