[STDS-802-11-TGBE] Discussion on SP in DCN133r0

Dear all,

Thanks for the nice discussion on 11-21/0133r0--Trigger Frame and Punctured Channel Information during the joint meeting on Feb 18th. In this contribution I presented a few benefits if the punctured channel information is included in Trigger frame. There is a stroll poll at the end of this contribution, which I would like to run in the next joint meeting:

Do you think punctured channel information should be included in the Trigger frame?

Below are the responses to some of the comments I received in the meeting:

1.            It was suggested that BSS level signaling could be used to provide punctured channel information.

a.            We transmit with punctured channel when CCA is busy on one or more subchannels. BSS level signaling may not be accurate for each individual transmission. This is also why the EHT MU PPDU carries Punctured Channel information in the U-SIG field.

2.            It was mentioned that the punctured channel signaling could introduce more overhead than we expected.

a.            Currently the Punctured Channel information subfield in the U-SIG has 5 bits, which is good to indicate 80MHz punctured channel information with OFDMA. For non-OFDMA case, a table is defined for all allowed punctured scenarios over the entire bandwidth.

b.            If we use bitmap signaling, then 16 bits are enough for signaling all punctured cases on 320MHz channel. We could reduce the signaling overhead by using a lookup table method. Or like the U-SIG field, we could include punctured channel information per 80MHz subblock.

3.            It was suggested that AID12 = 2046 could be used to signal the puncture channel information.

a.            AID12 = 2046 in 11ax indicates the remaining subfields are reserved except for RU Allocation subfield, which indicates the RU location of the unallocated RU. I am open to include punctured channel information with this User Info field in 11be. However, with current 11be RU allocation table, one RU/MRU can be identified as an unallocated RU/MRU, which could not cover all preamble puncturing cases.

If you have future comments or questions, please feel free to discuss in this email thread.

Regards,

Hanqing