Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] Discussion on DCN0894r4 (CID5880)

Hi Liangxiao,

Thanks for initiating the email discussion.

My observations on the SPs are as follows:

SP1: It proposes a change in the RTS-CTS mechanism, which is a widely used legacy mechanism. The AP not sending a CTS response (as is proposed) can harm legacy non-AP performance as well as performance of EHT non-APs that do not implement rTWT.  For example, the non-AP can try RTS again, fail to receive CTS again and continue in a loop. This will not only lead to a high CW, it can also make typical rate control algorithms at the non-AP to reduce the MCS for any subsequent data transmission that eventually follows a successful RTS-CTS exchange.

SP2: Proposes “reverse TXOP sharing” i.e. allowing a non-AP to share its TXOP with the AP.

This procedure can lead to more efficient channel access and so is a useful procedure in principle. For example, in a 1 AP and N non-AP system, currently the single AP has to win the channel and schedule data to/from N non-APs. With non-AP to AP TXOP sharing, any of the N non-APs can win the TXOP and share it with the AP for its triggered transmissions. Further, this prevents CCA blocking, say in case the AP is an exposed node, as any of the N spatially diverse non-APs can win the TXOP and share it with its AP. This procedure is also present in NR-Unlicensed.

However, my concerns are as follows:

Regards,

Shubho