[STDS-802-11-TGBE] Dynamic fragmentation in MLO (DCN 302)

Hi All,

I presented doc 302 which provides rules for dynamic fragmentation for MLO. A few members requested deferral of the CIDs for additional discussion. I am starting this thread to facilitate the discussion.

As mentioned during the call, we can’t have a spec that does not provide any fragmentation scheme for MLO. The spec disallows non-dynamic fragmentation and provides no guidance on dynamic fragmentation. The document is filling in the gap by providing rules for dynamic frag (if both parties support it). Note, if a device (AP or non-AP) does not want to support dynamic fragmentation, it can do so via capability indication.

I have copied the proposed text here to help with the discussion:

A STA affiliated with an MLD may use dynamic fragmentation as described in 26.3 (Fragmentation and defragmentation) subject to the following additional requirements:

-       The Dynamic Fragmentation Support, Maximum Number of Fragmented MSDUs/A-MSDUs Exponent, Minimum Fragment Size and A-MSDU Fragmentation Support fields in the HE Capabilities elements transmitted by each STA affiliated with the same MLD shall be set to values that are identical across all STAs.

-       If the first dynamic fragment of an MSDU, A-MSDU or MMPDU is sent on an enabled link then all the remaining fragments of that MSDU, A-MSDU, or MMPDU shall be sent on that same enabled link.[15146]

If a STA is required to fragment an MSDU or MMPDU so that the initial transmission of the first fragment does not cause the TXOP limit to be exceeded (see 10.23.2.9) then the STA shall either use dynamic fragmentation (while conforming to the rules described above) or reassociate as a STA that is not affiliated with an MLD (so that it can use non-dynamic fragmentation).[16681]

Regards,
Abhi