Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Duplicate IRM

Hi

>“If the new IRM is already in use within the network, or identical to a most recently received IRM for another non-AP STA”

From troubleshooting scenarios, it is interesting to be able to correlate a STA changing between SSIDs belonging to the same network as administrative entity. This “wlan change” can cause problems and it is common source of client deletion problems (triggers can be AP or STA, not going into details there)

That said, that is a stretch goal, and I think this correlation is outside the scope, as it may need upper layer authentication  links to the STA attributes

This opens couple of problems:

  1. Client should not use device ID across different ESS. As network, I would not expect client to leak information between different SSID names, and it should not be a burden put into clients to decide if they keep device ID or not, even if network  “owns” two ESS, and present the same device ID for both of them
    Client should not reject getting same device ID from two ESS  (which should not be a problem as per what I recall in the draft), it falls into network side to decide how to arrive to that correlation

  2. I would need to check, on the IRM usage points, but there could be several scenarios where IRM is presented before auth of the STA has been fully completed (even if it is possible)
    as such,  the infrastructure does not have possibility of validating the IRM properly, or confirm If it is a duplicate, or the same STA roaming across ESS

On this scenario,  I would put the requirement that a given STA, must not use the same IRM across different ESS (using lay terms, SSIDs names, or  WLANs, etc), leaving open the possibility  that  if the network infra sees the same IRM tried to be used across  two ESS, that should be handled as collision, and the last one rejected (although this probably falls outside the scope of this discussion, just mentioning as possible implementation detail)

regards