[STDS-802-11-TGBH] CID 195 in 1373

Hi Graham,

I have checked the description of "PMKSA caching" in the baseline(11me draft 4.0) as the storage of PMKSA caching is similar to IRM  (Although their generation manner has some difference. ) . And I found the following sentence.

  1. P338L5 "A FILS STA that has successfully established a PMKSA at an AP identifying a particular cache identifier can attempt to use PMK caching in a subsequent attempt with any AP that uses the same cache identifier "

  2. P279L60 "The non-AP STA that supports PMKSA caching shall, if necessary, change its MAC address back to that value when attempting a subsequent association to the ESS using PMKSA caching"

  3.  P296L37  "The AP shall check whether PMKSA caching is being attempted by the presence of the PMKID List field in RSNE "

  4. P296L28 "Therefore, when FILS with PMKSA caching fails, the AP may decide to retain the cached PMKSA "

Obviously, PMKSA caching looks like ESS level and all APs in the ESS share all the same PMKSA , and each AP verify the PMKSA independently.

It's out of 802.11 standard that how APs in the ESS synchronize the generated PMKSA .

If we follow the similar writing sytle above, the following setence should be prefered. Otherwise, the storage description on APs/ESS side will be missing.

"The non-AP STA should store the newly allocated IRM as an identifier for use with the AP(s) in the ESS, and the AP(s) should store that IRM as an identifier for that non-AP STA"

What's your thought?

Thanks

Best Regards

Jay Yang (杨志杰)