Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] adding deviceID to association frames

Yes it does make sense, Thanks.

From: Harkins, Dan <daniel.harkins@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2024 2:39 PM
To: G Smith <gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-11-TGBH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: adding deviceID to association frames

  Hi Graham,

  The tweak and the padding serve different purposes. Also, the tweak is mandatory and the padding is optional.

  The tweak gives us a guarantee (with an acceptable bound) that the encrypted device ID will be different with each encryption. Padding makes it so the encrypted device ID isn't always the same length to make traffic analysis that much harder. Yes, the randomness of the padding will add to the guarantee the tweak provides but if we did away with the tweak the guarantee would be solely based on the padding (which could be 1 octet, not much of a guarantee!) and if we did away with the padding it would give a heads-up for traffic analysis to try and track STAs.

  Since the padding is also random, the security being offered by the scheme can be greater than the guarantee but we can say is is *at least* 1/2^(n/2) given the length of the tweak, n. The additional security provided by the padding will be variable based on the length of the padding which, again, could be one octet so we do need a solid security floor, that's what the tweak provides.

  I hope I make sense….

  regards,

  Dan.

--

"the object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to

escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." – Marcus Aurelius