[STDS-802-11-TGM] Thread related to Table E-12 discussion

G’day all

Thank you for listening to my submission (11-22-0350-01) related is CID2323 today. I fixed a few typos in 11-22-0350-02.

During the subsequent discussion, I heard various suggestions and concerns. I was asked to start a discussion thread on these topics:

  • C2C needs definition

·       I agree

·       We can probably constrain the definition to E.2.7, similar to what we do for automatic frequency coordination (AFC)

    • Ie just define it as “client to client (C2C)”

·       Aside: AFC is defined in 3.4 as automatic frequency control and in E.2.7 as automatic frequency coordination

  • The proposed language “Receipt of this value shall not used as an enabling signal for C2C operation” is troubling
    • I struggled with this language too
    • Technically it is correct, but the authority for the “shall not” is really the regulatory authority
    • Maybe alternatives are:
      • “Receipt of this value is not intended to be used as an enabling signal for C2C operation”
      • “Receipt of this value should not be used as an enabling signal for C2C operation”
  • Using all the values (0-7) means we will have no scope to make future changes
    • This is true
    • However, there seems to be some confidence the basic structure in Table E-12 is correct given the lack of objection in the LB, and so the risk seems low (especially after the addition of values 5-6)
    • If it turns out the descriptions need changes in the future then we can use “none of the above” (value 7) as an escape to something else
  • Do we need any of Table E-12?
    • It appears we partially need Table E-12 to enable appropriate signalling for C2C operations
      • Are there other reasons for Table E-12?
    • We could decide to not support C2C in 802.11
      • This will make no immediate difference
        • C2C is not allowed in the US and has been delayed in Europe
      • But could impact how quickly C2C can be deployed when it is allowed
    • My personal preference is to support C2C, but in a manner that can be managed by the infrastructure when required, resulting in:
      • More use  of 6 GHz from enabling C2C
      • More controlled use comes from enabling infrastructure management

I was also asked to look at CID2120, which suggests deleting all of Annex E

  • The comment is from Mark Rison
    • Comment: What an "operating class" does and does not specify seems to depend on the subclause the term is used in
    • Proposed Change: Delete Annex E
  • IMHO this might or might not be a good idea, but it is difficult to see the justification for such a change in the comment
    • Mark, perhaps you could explain your reasoning in more detail?
    • All, could everyone highlight any problems that might occur if we adopt Mark’s proposal?

Andrew Myles

Manager, Cisco Standards

http://www.cisco.com/web/europe/images/email/signature/logo05.jpg

Andrew Myles