Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Question: should 802.11e be deprecated?

Hi, Jon,

I’ll weigh in on at least one aspect:

I note that the Comment says “802.11e should be deprecated.”  Perhaps the question here is the old “Do you implement 802.11e (EDCA), or do you implement WFA’s WMM?” dichotomy…  But, I’d rather not turn over that rock.  We seem to reached a stability around this confusion, and should let it lie, IMHO.

That said, I see that the Proposed Change is actually, in effect, “HCCA should be deprecated.”  That is a very different question.  While I think HCCA had a lot of promise, the reality is that 802.11 has gone in other directions with various triggered access methods, and as far as I know there is zero implementation of HCCA in the real-world.  (Someone will correct me if I’m wrong about that, I’m sure.)  So, I would say, “Sure, we should probably deprecate HCCA.”

Note that this is doing a bit of surgery, however, as it implies also deprecating HCCA coordination between APs with overlapping BSSs (OBSS).  But, we do _not_ want to deprecate or otherwise accidentally break BSS color, for example, or some other features for OBSS management/control.  Does that in turn mean that QLoad goes away?  I’m not sure.  What about AP PeerKey?  Again, I’m not sure.  Well need to do some careful pulling on this thread, to keep the edges of the surgery clean.

Mark