Re: [STDS-802-11] [WUR SG] Call for presentation

Hello,

Are all the changes tracked?  It seems not, since no changes are

shown in 5.2.b.  Could you provide the list of changes, please?

I have an observation and a question on the tracked changes:

> The WUR, used as a companion radio to the primary connectivity radio in the same band, coexist with legacy IEEE 802.11 devices and has an active receiver power consumption of less than one milliwatt.

The observation is that "coexist" should be "coexists", since

the subject is "WUR", which is singular.

The question is how this sentence is to be interpreted.  Is it:

a) If the WUR is in the same band as the PCR, then it coexists

with legacy devices and consumes < 1 mW on rx

or

b) The WUR is in the same band as the PCR, coexists with legacy

devices and consumes < 1 mW on rx

I didn't think there had been agreement that the WUR necessarily has

to be in the same band as the PCR, so I guess it's not b).  But a)

is wrong because the WUR should coexists and be power-efficient in

any case.  So I suggest the following rewording:

The WUR is a companion radio to the primary connectivity radio.

The WUR coexists with legacy IEEE 802.11 devices and has an active receiver power consumption of less than one milliwatt.

I also have the following observations on 5.2.b:

> While this project focuses on the specification of the PHY and the MAC layers of the WUR operation, it is expected that minor changes to the IEEE 802.11 MAC layer may be needed, e.g. the introduction of a new capability element, etc.

"specification of […] the MAC layers of the WUR operation" will result

in "changes to the IEEE 802.11 MAC layer", since P802.11ba is an amendment

to 802.11.  So this needs to be changed to something like "minor changes

to the IEEE 802.11 MAC layer for the primary connectivity radio".

> The new amendment utilizes the existing privacy and encryption methods

Is that a given?  It's not immediately obvious to me that WUR will necessarily

use the existing mechanisms (4WH, CCMP/GCMP, etc.).  Maybe "where possible"

should be added?

And shouldn't this first sentence be a separate bullet to the rest (the stuff

about latency – actually the last bit about range should also have its own

bullet)?

Thanks,

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk