Re: [STDS-802-11] New Amendment Style

I am not in Atlanta, so cannot air my concerns in person, but I am not

a fan of the proposed style, because it requires me to look (or at least

check) in multiple places to find how a particular thing (frame, protocol,

feature) operates.

In addition, the proposed style does not prevent the need to update

Clauses 4-11 with new text to cover some of the changes introduced

by 11ax.

I note in 17/0164r1 a suggestion that there be wording of the form

          An HE STA does not conform to the requirements of clause 4-11,  except where specifically referenced from this Clause.

No such wording appears in 11ax/D1.0.  The contradictions between

Clause 27 and earlier clauses do need to be resolved in some way,

but I think the correct way – if this new style is adopted, which

as I said I think is problematic – then I think the polarity should be:

          An HE STA conforms to Clauses 4-11,  except where specifically referenced from this clause.

lest some feature be forgotten and hence not be part of what an HE

STA conforms to.

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk