[STDS-802-11] Liaison response to Wireless Broadband Alliance

All,

We (802.11, 802.1 and 802) received a liaison letter from the Wireless Broadband Alliance (WBA), asking questions about the usage of OUIs and CIDs as Roaming Consortium identifiers (this is 802.11u/Hotspot stuff, for those unfamiliar).

For the most part, their questions are best directed to 802.1 and the RAC, who handle addressing and address space conventions within 802, including the allocation and use of OUIs and CIDs.  However, there are aspects of the questions that are specific to how 802.11 is referencing 802 standards for OUIs and CIDs, and mapping those concepts to our information elements such as the Organization Identifier, Roaming Consortium element and Roaming Consortium ANQP-element.

As such, I have been coordinating with 802.1, and they have written a response liaison that covers most of the technical details of relevant OUI, OUI-36 and CID usage.  The plan is for 802.11 to review their response, and add anything we feel is appropriate, and then have 802 send the coordinated response.  As such, I have added one paragraph noting that the questions raised by the WBA point out some language in 802.11 that could be clarified about the way these elements work (in my opinion).

I plan to bring this response liaison to the WG closing plenary, for discussion and approval.

So, I would like to provide this advanced warning about this agenda item, for those who have expertise or interest in the topics, to review both the 802.1 provided response, as well as the paragraph I suggest 802.11 add.

The original liaison from WBA can be found here: http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/liaison-WBA-Roaming-OUI-1017.pdf

The response (including the added paragraph, with Track Changes) can be found here (in 11-17/1797r0): https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/17/11-17-1797-00-0000-liaison-reply-to-the-wba-on-oui-usage.docx

If there are any comments or concerns with this response, please let me know.

Thanks.  Mark