From: 伟杰 <xuweijie@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2022 7:07 PM
To: Steve Shellhammer <sshellha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: AMP TIG Question

WARNING: This email originated from outside of Qualcomm. Please be wary of any links or attachments, and do not enable macros.

Hi, Steve,

You have mentioned an interesting application😊.

The heat energy harvester utilizes the seebeck effect (as shown in the following Figure)to convert heat to electric energy. The ouput power can range from 25~1000 uw per cm2. The condition where the energy harvester can work and generate power is that: there is temperature difference. That is to say, when there is temperature difference between the two ends of the energy harvester, energy can be generated and harvested.

For the data center application, as far as know, the indoor temperature will be kept almost constant (e.g., the fluctuation of the temperature is less than 1 centigrade ) using e.g., air conditioner in order to provide a good working condition for the servers. This appears to be one downside to use heat for energy harvesting. But on the other hand,  may be it is still possible by attaching the energy harvester near the thermovent of the server. Hence, on one side of the energy harvester the temperature is higher and on the other side facing the indoor environment, the temperature is lower.

If is possible, may be some filed test can be done to verify this😊

In addition, as far as I know, heat energy harvester can be used in many scenarios: wearables ( to use the temperature difference between the body and the environment ), pipe monitoring (to use the temperature difference between the pipe and the environment and also the change of the environment temperature ), power transformation equipment, etc.

BR,

weijie