Re: [STDS-802-11] 11-23/0048r8

Dan/all,

For avoidance of (minor) confusion: The document is 11-23/0044r7 (DCN=44, rev=7 on latest posted version).  @Harkins, Dan: Do you perhaps have an r8 that is not posted, with some updates?  I see the minutes from May say it is r8, which makes me think Jon believed you had an update that you would post…?

Mark

From: Harkins, Dan <daniel.harkins@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2023 2:02 PM
To: STDS-802-11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [STDS-802-11] 11-23/0048r8

  Hello,

  At the May Interim meeting in Orlando document 11-23/0048r8 was discussed in REVme. There was some opposition to adopting it, as noted in 11-23/0863r0, and those opposed stated that there were "many open items" that kept them from approving. It was my recollection that the no voters would get back to me with an enumerated list of these many items. I have yet to see this list.

  I recall vague statements like, "trust-on-first-use is not the right way to do this" without explaining what would be the right way or what would need to change in order to support the proposal, and also there was an assertion that implementers were not given any guidance on how long to maintain a trusted key and therefore did not know how to write their code but mandates on how STAs manage their state has traditionally been opposed by STA vendors (e.g. PMKSA caching lifetime mandates). So it's not really clear what changes the no voters would like to see or what other open items they see.

  Can the no voters please enumerate their reasons for opposing this proposal which solves a legitimate use case with a minimum of change?

  thanks,

  Dan.

--

"the object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to

escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." – Marcus Aurelius