Re: stds-80220-eval-criteria: ECCG conference call, Tuesday Febru ary 24, 12-2pm EST

Farooq and all

I definitely think it is worth continuing this discussion on our
next call. I think the link budget is a great way to summarize
input parameters into our network level simulations.

However, before we establish how to use the link budget information as an
evaluation criteria, I think we need to decide exactly what information the
link budget will give us to separate proposals that is not already subsumed by
other parts of the evaluation criteria.

The overall group consensus has been to use network level simulations
to take into account effects of channel model, interference effects, and a
whole host of other factors on coverage, capacity, and service levels. In my
opinion the output metrics of these network simulations (see section
10 page 17 of http://ieee802.org/20/Contribs/C802.20-04-21.doc) subsume
any information we may hope to glean from the link budget.

I do not think the link budget will add information necessary to
separate proposals in terms of performance beyond what we are already
planning. So we should use the elements of the link budget as a tool
to agree upon and summarize assumptions and not attempt to use it
as an evaluation criteria.

Mike