Re: 802.21

Reijo,

Let me say at the outset that you are most welcome to participate in the working
of 802.21. IEEE operates on membership at an individual level rather than
company based. Every participant is a member of the WG, though there are very
specific IEEE attendance rules to acquire voting membership.

At this stage of 802.21 working, the emphasis would be on participation and
constructive ideas to solve the problem of Seamless Media Independent Handover.

Regarding your concern about the complexity of cellular systems as opposed to
802.xx systems, I am not so sure. The main difference between the 802.xx systems
and various cellular systems is that 802.xx primarily defines the MAC/PHY layer
specification, whereas, cellular systems not only define the MAC/PHY of the
air-interface but the whole network architecture as well, end-to-end.

But at the same time, if one tries to take a larger view, we in 802.21 are not
talking about going into the inner workings of cellular MAC/PHY but stay above
that. For example, one possible idea that has gained traction is Layer 1/2
triggers, which could facilitate timely/informed handover decisions. Obviously,
a handover decision would still have to be made by some higher level entity.

Again, issues related to Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) as
well as QoS under different air-interfaces and networks would play a role. My
personal feeling is that some of these issues are more implementation related
and others would have to be dealt with at a policy level.

Besides the above, the impact of your point regarding "legal interception" would
have to be understood more clearly. I may just add that here the emphasis is on
fast handover (make-before-break wherever overlap exists) otherwise protocols
such as Mobile IP perform fairly well in heterogeneous networks.

I would like to cc this email to the larger group through the 802.21 reflector,
so that others in the group can also participate in the discussion.

Let me know if you plan to give a presentation so that I can schedule you on the
agenda.

regards,
-ajay
Chair, IEEE 802.21