RE: [802.21] Ad hoc telecon for Nov 29th

Junghoon,

>- Higher Layer Requirements for the MIH Function to "function properly"
>(things that will involve higher layers but that do not deal
>with the MIH
>protocol itself: discovery, capabilities...)
>
>=> I am not sure how the MIH Capability Discovery related stuff can be
>classified to the Higher Layer Requirements. Isn't definitely
>within the
>scope of MIH protocol itself? Please take a look at Section
>8.4.1 & 8.5.1 of
>the current spec., D3. It's already defined here. Please let's do not
>consume our energy by re-inventing the wheel on what is
>already defined.
I believe that nothing in the draft is cast in stone until the draft is released as approved. That is normal IEEE process. If there are parties that believe something in the draft may not be 100% ok, I do not see why we should not keep the discussion open.

>Could anyone kindly let me know where this gab in understanding the MIH
>Capability Discovery stuff comes from? Am I miss-understanding
>or missing
>something here?
I believe the misunderstanding is not so much on what is or not in the draft, but what is the of the draft content on higher layer requirements. I do not believe it is realistic for any form of L3 transport to have the discovery of MIH functions (e.g. even just their IP addressed) built in the MIH protocol. That is the equivalent of telling IETF that for the MIH specific purposes we are not using any of the proven existing discovery solutions designed in IETF and we're introducing a new one. I doubt that would fly in IETF. As for capabilities discovery, that can definitely be built in the protocol.