[802.3_B400G] Study Group Progress

All,

I have received a number of inquiries regarding the Study Group timeline.  I suspect this is related to the progress the Study Group made at the April Session.  While it is true the Study Group made significant progress regarding objectives, we will have to wait and see if any further objectives are proposed at the May Session.

In addition it is important that individuals realize that we still need to address the PAR and CSD (including the 5 Criterial – Broad Market Potential, Technical Feasibility, Economic Feasibility, Compatibility, and Distinct Identity.  As highlighted during some of the discussion at the April session, there are some objectives adopted where I would say that some individuals want to see technical and economic feasibility data.

Please note at the May Session, I will highlight a timeline.  As a reminder, please note that Study Groups have a 6 month life with one six month extension, for a total of 1 year.  With that said there is still a lot of work to be done.

On another note – while it may be a bit premature, based on the already adopted objectives, this is going to be a fairly large project.  Any individuals wishing to become more active in the future assumed task force are encouraged to contact me.  I believe we will need a number of participants to help in an editor’s role.

Regards,

John D’Ambrosia

Chair, IEEE 802.3 Beyond 400 Gb/s Study Group