Re: [802.3_B400G] CWDM dispersion levels

Hi Scott,

This was the email I sent on 22 March.

Let me show specifically the fairly consistent curve of aggregated test results 100G PAM4 dispersion penalties shown in https://www.ieee802.org/3/cu/public/Sept19/stassar_3cu_01_0919.pdf of CD penalty versus CD.

A lot of test results came from the 100G Lambda MSA work.

As you can see, for 30+ ps/nm the CD penalty goes above 4 dB and for 50 ps/nm it would go off the screen.

This is quite different from your claim of 0.5 dB for 50 ps/nm.

These results were used in the cu project to define the limits for 400GBASE-LR4-6.

Generally it’s my experience that simulations of dispersion penalty do not provide sufficiently reliable results to support choices for wavelengths.

Kind regards

Peter