Re: [802.3_B400G] Meeting Material Posted

Dear 802.3df TF Participants,

The July Plenary meeting had detailed presentations on 800G 10km PMD approaches, enabling further discussion of Cost and Power.

Cost

The key PMD cost driver is the ASIC. A ZR Coherent ASIC is significantly higher cost and power than the same rate IMDD PHY ASIC (see email below). During the meeting, it was shown how to reduce ZR complexity by restricting reach to 10km, which requires a new ASIC. Unfortunately the resulting PHY volume is now three orders of magnitude lower than IMDD’s, instead of ZR’s two orders of magnitude lower, negating any comparative per die cost savings. Even more unfortunately, CMOS development cost, including masks, given projected PMD lifetime volumes raises serious questions about Economic Feasibility of a dedicated 10km ASIC.

Power

Eric’s presentation includes TX Loss, which enables comparison of Coherent and IMDD laser DC power.

TX Technology

TX Loss

Link Loss

TX + Link Loss

Effective Loss
after RX LO

Unit

SiPh MZM Coherent

23

6.3

29.3

14.6

dB

InP EML IMDD

5

6.3

11.3

11.3

dB

Loss Difference

3.3

dB

A 40% efficiency of the TEC stabilizing the Coherent laser, results in the Coherent source requiring 5 times more DC power than the IMDD lasers.

Similar cost and power insights are likely behind the proposal from Chris Doerr, who understands Coherent as well as anyone, or better. For his PHY and TX, he proposes standard IMDD ASIC and EMLs, respectively.

Thank you

Chris