[802.3_B400G] PMDq progress with respect to shorter lengths: Not on the same timeline as Chromatic Dispersion for resolution

In ITU-T SG15, Frank Effenberger sent the following note:

All,

I am very happy to see that we are making good progress on CD statistics.

If I could raise another topic: Polarization mode dispersion. It would be useful if we could have estimations of the PMDq for the various link lengths we are considering in the CD work. Would that be possible to achieve in this current timeframe?

Thanks,

Frank Effenberger

My ITU-T SG15 response is below:

Frank,

Although we are in favor of using similar link design methodology for PMD for shorter lengths, because PMD is an installed cable/system attribute, we think much more data must be collected to estimate PMD for shorter lengths.

We have not seen data collected on cables since the mid-2000s when PMD was still relevant for optical transport before those networks switched to coherent systems.

Cable design has changed considerably since then moving to smaller coating diameter fibres (200 µm) and high density cables resulting in more stresses affecting the fibre.

Also, we think we need more information on the PMD effects of the components in the link.  Connectors, splices and xWDM components may also affect PMD negatively.

We favor being more conservative with PMD and DGD penalties as they are much more variable than Chromatic dispersion (which is only fiber dependent) and cabling and installation stresses have to be considered.

Do operators have PMD or DGD measurements on the installed plant that can be shared?

Thanks,

Therefore, I favor staying with Anslow’s PMD/DGD methodology from 802.3cu, anslow_3cu_01_0519, until and if more data can be collected.

Vince

Vince Ferretti

Senior Standards Manager

Global Tech & Industry Standards

Corning, Inc.

620 46th Ave Dr NE

Hickory, NC 28601

c: 828-234-3353

email: ferrettive@xxxxxxxxxxx

Standards are a bridge between markets and technologies; whoever controls the bridge controls the future…