From: Chris Cole <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 9, 2023 3:30 PM
To: STDS-802-3-B400G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_B400G] Nov Plenary Webpage Uploaded

Peter

that is a very thoughtful presentation, although I am not sure I would write the difference in loss between 500m and 250m to 3 digits of accuracy. Perhaps another way to characterize the difference is that one would be hard pressed to repeatedly measure the difference in BER between the two for an end to end link. There are other questions that come to mind about 250m, for example what does it have to do with AI/ML given typical clusters size and concern for latency. Other related questions are how much lower the cost and power would be of a 250m vs. 500m transceiver, and how is that responsive to need for integer reductions in AI/ML applications given their exponential growth.

With respect to Arash's first question, the measurement drawing shows a BtB configuration. An EML should have a 1 to 3 dBm TX power, assuming JJ and his co-workers did their usual good work. Since a sweep is not shown, this indicates a single point measurement meant to characterize error floor performance (which is our primary concern). It would be nice to see a waterfall curve characterizing sensitivity.

Chris