[802.3_OMEGA] IEEE 802.3 Multi Gigabit Automotive Optical PHYs Study Group meeting

Colleagues:

The IEEE 802.3 Multi Gigabit Automotive Optical PHYs Study Group will be meeting in Atlanta, Georgia, USA (https://www.regonline.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?EventID=2572986).  The meeting planners have posted the schedule for the March Plenary session in Atlanta (http://schedule.802world.com/schedule/schedule/show#).  We are scheduled to meet all day Tuesday plus Wednesday morning.

Our draft Project Authorization Request (PAR) and Criteria for Standards Development (CSD) documents were pre-submitted to IEEE 802, for consideration during the March plenary session.  Our WG Chair, Mr. Law, also conditionally submitted the PAR to the IEEE SA New Standards Committee (NesCom) for consideration during its April teleconference.  During the March plenary week, we may receive comments from other IEEE 802 Working Groups.  If any other WG does provide comments on the PAR or CSD documents, we will generate responses to the comments Wednesday morning.

Presentations in support of creating a Multi-Gigabit Optical Automotive Ethernet standards project are welcomed during our March SG meeting.  This includes presentations illustrating potential methods for implementing optical automotive Ethernet links in support of the technical feasibility for such links, as well as market requirements for optical automotive Ethernet.  I have received a small number of presentation requests.  If you would like to present and have not yet submitted a request, please let me know (see http://www.ieee802.org/3/OMEGA/public/presentproc.html).  Our major agenda items for March will be such presentations and to progress our proposed project documents.  For those new to the project approval process, I provide some more detail.

	1.  We need to gain approval of our PAR, CSD, and Objectives from the IEEE 802.3 WG.  It is possible that the WG will determine that some changes are required to these documents.  The votes on motions to approve these documents will occur during the Thursday afternoon closing 802.3 meeting.  All SG participants that are WG members (i.e., have 802.3 voting rights) are encouraged to attend that closing meeting to support creation of a project on Multi-Gigabit Optical Automotive Ethernet.

	2.  If we gain WG approval, Mr. Law will make motions for approval of our PAR and CSD during the Friday closing IEEE 802 Executive Committee meeting.

	3.  If major changes are made to the PAR (by the SG, WG or EC), it will be removed from the April NesCom teleconference agenda.  That would make the next opportunity for PAR approval to be during the June IEEE Standards Board series of meetings.

	4.  Minor changes, if any, will be communicated to NesCom following the IEEE 802 plenary meeting week, and our PAR will remain on the April NesCom agenda.

	5.  The IEEE SA Standards Board will conduct an electronic ballot on the April NesCom recommendations.  It is expected that SASB approval would allow us to meet as a Task Force during the May 802.3 meeting series.

We know that some participants may be affected by COVID-19 (coronavirus) travel restrictions and your participation will be missed.  For the rest of you, I look forward to seeing you in Atlanta.

Robert M. (Bob) Grow
Chair, IEEE 802.3 Multi Gigabit Automotive Optical PHYs Study Group