[802.3_OMEGA] Status update

Colleagues:

As most of you know, we had hoped to hold the first P802.3cz Task Force (TF) meeting in May, but cancellation of the March plenary session prevented us from getting the PAR approval required to advance to being a TF.  A number of people have been working to make rules changes that allow us during extraordinary circumstances to process PARs outside a plenary session.  The plan to allow us to start developing an amendment for Multi Gigabit Optical Automotive Ethernet has a number of steps, and I’m pleased to give you positive progress report on those steps

A number of actions were required to happen before and during the 28 May Executive Committee teleconference meeting:

	1.  The OMEGA Study Group met 15 May to consider any changes requested to our Project Authorization Request (PAR), Criteria for Standards Development (CSD), and Objectives.  Some minor changes were made and approved.
	2.  The IEEE 802.3 Working Group gave its approval of our draft PAR, draft CSD, and draft Objectives during the 21 May IEEE 802.3 Working Group meeting.
	3.  The IEEE SA Standards Board approved a change to the IEEE 802 LMSC Policies and Procedures to allow modifications to subsidiary LMSC rules outside a plenary session.
	4.  With #3 accomplished, the EC approved an IEEE 802 LMSC Operations Manual change to allow suspension of rules under extraordinary circumstances.
	5.  With #4 accomplished, the EC approved a suspension of rules contained in the IEEE 802 LMSC Operations Manual related to processing new PARs, including ratification of a PAR review process already underway.  (The SG approving responses to comments during our 15 May SG teleconference meeting was part of that process.)
	6.  With #5 accomplished, the IEEE 802 LMSC Executive Committee then was able to consider our PAR and CSD.  The EC approved both without objection during the 28 May teleconference meeting, allowing the PAR to be considered for final approval during the 2-4 June meeting series.

We still need:
	7.  2 June — NesCom meets by teleconference to develop a recommendation on our proposed PAR.  There are no current NesCom member comments awaiting response.  That is a good indication that the recommendation on our P802.3cz PAR is likely to be:  recommend approval.
	8.  3-4 June — The IEEE SA Standards Board (SASB) meets and during that teleconference split over two days, will vote to accept (or change) the recommendation from NesCom.  Typically accepting NesCom recommendations will be done with approval of the agenda, but any project can be pulled off the agenda for discussion later during the SASB meeting series (there are no current indications to hint P802.3cz being pulled for latter discussion).

 If my prediction is correct, and the P802.3cz PAR is approved by the SASB, we can then become the 802.3 P802.3cz Task Force.  Once we are a TF, we can start to select technical proposal for inclusion in a draft amendment standard.

I hope you all are well and surviving these challenging times!

Bob Grow
Chair OMEGA Study Group