Re: [802.3_OMEGA] November 18 P802.3 TF teleconference -- REMINDER and REQUEST

Yuji-san,

We will use the WebEx polling feature for straw polls.  Anyone on the call can participate.  We guess it will take about 3 or 4 minutes for the first straw poll.  Any additional straw polls requested will hopefully only take ~2 minutes.  A motion to adopt a baseline will be roll call of 802.3 voting members on the call perhaps 50 names (estimate 10 minutes +).  A straw poll makes no decision.  Sometimes, a straw poll will be used to help decide what motion to propose in the same or later meeting.

I believe we can specify a connector if the TF wants to do so.  Our PAR title and scope only limit us to the Physical Layer which traditionally includes the MDI.  In 802.3 we have specified by reference an MDI connector.  I now some might argue that connector and media/medium are layer 0 of the reference model, but almost all physical layer projects include specifications for number of connectors with a budget for the connectors and media.  The technical experts will individually decide on those specifications and whether the budget for connectors implies a particular type of connector if one isn’t directly with draft specifications and figures or indirectly specified by reference to an external connector specificatoin.

So, as Chair, I would I will allow discussion of whether a connector specification is in our project scope, and similarly would allow a motion to select a baseline proposal includes connector specifications with direct specifications or by reference.  (I base this on the fact that during ballot, one responsibility of balloters is to review if draft content is within the PAR scope.)   See Std 802.3 7.6, 8.5.3.2 for early connector specifications, 113.8.1, 124.11.3, 125.8 for more recent connector specifications.

—Bob