Re: [802.3_OMEGA] 22 June Straw Polls

Hi Yuji, all,

I continue to learn about differences between teleconferences (including the teleconference tools) and in-person meetings.  Roberts Rules were written for in-person meetings.  A straw poll, as you note, is not included in Roberts Rules.

In an in-person meeting when we do a straw poll, participants in the room can look around and see how others are voting (votes are not secret), but someone sitting in a room also knows others can see when they raise their hand.

I learned yesterday that the WebEx teleconference host can see and record individual responses without other participants knowing individual responses are being recorded.  We announce that the teleconference hosts may be able to see private chats.  Now that I know teleconference hosts can also record individual responses without that being displayed on the WebEx “polling” page, I’ll include adding notice that participants should not assume responses to straw polls will be anonymous. Additionally, I’ll let the requesters of straw polls specify if results will be published by individual response or only as totals.

You are not the only participant to object to personal responses being released.  So, individual responses to the 22 June straw polls will not be released to any task force participants nor be made public.  No one else needs to respond requesting individual responses not be made public.

—Bob