[802.3_OMEGA] Moving our work forward

Colleagues,

As obvious to participants during our September interim teleconferences, we have been discussing for some time alternate PMDs that could be included in our draft.  We have also discussed if some of these suggested PMD types are within the scope our objectives; or if we were to include multiple PMDs as alternatives if doing so would be consistent with our approved CSD response to the Distinct Identity criterion.  There also has been discussion about proposals being consistent with other CSD criteria and the principles embodied in the CSD questions.  (Our approved PAR, CSD responses, and Objectives are linked from the TF home page www.ieee.org/3/cz.)

I as TF Chair announced that future presentation and discussion on these previously discussed topics may be deemed by the TF Chair as out of scope because of our PAR, CSD responses and Objectives.  On these topics deemed out of scope, discussion and presentation will only be allowed in the context of motions to modify one or more of the project documents defining our scope of work.

There was an objection to the above scope of work enforcement during the September interim meeting.  For clarity, I will add to what was discussed during our teleconferences. The announced procedure to limit discussion to our approved scope of work does not preclude:

1.  When the person chairing a meeting makes a ruling during the meeting, Roberts Rules of Order allows for appeal of the decision of the Chair (web search:  Roberts Rules appeal decision of the Chair).  For example if the TF Chair rules a presentation out of order for inclusion on the list of presentations during a meeting, it would be appropriate to appeal the decision of the Chair during discussion of approval of the Agenda.

2.  Any participants wishing to dispute this procedure to stick to our approved scope of work are also advised to consult the IEEE 802 WG P&P (https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/21/ec-21-0207-21-0PNP-ieee-802-lmsc-working-group-policies-and-procedures.pdf, especially Clause 9 Appeals and Clause 10 Rights).

I also am open to private discussions with anyone concerned.  Simnilarly, participants are able to bring any objections or comment on how I am conducting TF business to the attention of the WG Chair.

Robert M. (Bob) Grow
Chair, P802.3cz Multi-Gigabit Optical Automotive Ethernet (OMEGA) Task Force