Re: [802.3_OMEGA] [EXTERNAL]--Re: [802.3_OMEGA] Motion #3 for PMD adoption. Understanding the negative votes.

Takahashi-san,

I do not agree with your assertion; all IEEE Standards refer to IEC Standards for fiber cabling and the launch condition into the fiber. ISO is specifying general requirements and test methods for optical harnesses for automotive communication.

I am not aware of any informative requirements in IEEE Standards

For the launch, we have always specified an encircled flux launch:

This launch is defined at the output of 2m of fiber.

For fiber optic cabling, we have always referenced IEC and provide specific detail not only on the IEC reference but also the details of the fiber itself.

1GbE, Clause 38:

“The fiber optic cable requirements are satisfied by the fibers specified in IEC 60793-2:1992. Types A1a (50/125 µm multimode), A1b (62.5/125 µm multimode), and B1 (single-mode) with the exceptions noted in

Table 38–12.”

10GbE, Clause 52:

“The fiber optic cable shall meet the requirements of IEC 60793-2 or the requirements of Table 52–25 where they differ for fiber types A1a (50/125 μm multimode), A1b (62.5/125 μm multimode), B1.1 (dispersion unshifted single mode), or B1.3 (low water peak single mode).”

100GbE, Clause 95:

If you need any additional information, please feel to reach out to me.

Best regards,

Steve

Steven E. Swanson

Senior Standards Manager

Distinguished Associate

Global Technology & Industry Standards

MT&E

Corning Optical Communications

4200 Corning Place

Charlotte, NC 28216

m 607-725-1129

swansonse@xxxxxxxxxxx

Standards are a bridge between markets and technologies; whoever controls the bridge controls the future…