Re: [802.3_SPEP2P] EXTERNAL: Re: [802.3_SPEP2P] AW: AW: [802.3_SPEP2P] Number of link segment in-line connectors

Steffen - just a short note as we are on holiday today and tomorrow (at least partly) in the us.   The subject of surge protection in 802.3 is complicated. There are other ieee groups (completely outside of 802) who have responsibility for this. You may have heard some discussion of that in the ieee 802.3 pdcc ad hoc, or the 802.3cr effort.

However, the transmission characteristics (as opposed to the protection characteristics) of SPMDs can be an issue, and, if we expect them to be frequently used, we should try to make sure that those transmission characteristics are adequately specified - hence my note.  We can discuss further.  I am less concerned about capacitance as that is a linear effect and can be completely included in the link segment specifications.  this is one reason why you find me continually reminding people we don't actually specify lengths of cabling or numbers of connectors, but rather the electrical characteristics of the link segment - you can make trades ( shorter reach, less lossy cabling or connectors) when you use auxiliary devices such as SPMDs which introduce  additional  loss and/or reflections.

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.
President & Principal
CME Consulting, Inc.
george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx