Re: [802.3_SPEP2P] discussuion about 1Gb7s for SPE

Dieter – please send me any specific corrections or additions to the minutes that you feel are necessary. We will consider them prior to approving minutes.

Regarding time and content, we exhausted our allotted time on each of the last 2 meetings.  We expect to have more time to continue to discuss the long-term proposal, so exhausting time in one meeting is not another.  The minutes reflect an encouragement to continue discussion on the reflector, which I am happy to see you are doing.  What I, as an individual, would like to see is discussion that relates directly to how the CSDs are supported.  I would read the ‘arguments against’ as more of a discussion of what individuals in the group believe is needed in order to say that we have supported the CSDs and in order to have a record that supports those CSDs to 802.3 and the 802 EC.

As an individual, I would note that we have not seen technical or economic feasibility presentations from those affiliated with the electronics or systems level vendors, and that is generally needed to support the CSDs of technical and economic feasibility.  When 100m is mentioned, the distinct identity point generally goes to 1 pair vs. 4 pairs, or whether (and how, you give some indication below) a 100m phy at 1 Gbps would have a distinct identity from the specified “link segment B” (40m) of 1000BASE-T1.

In this case, it is my personal belief that the distinct identity/technical and economic feasibility are linked in the targeted markets, so they need common assumptions.

That was why I asked for more discussion on gauge and other characteristics (e.g., frequency and crosstalk) associated with the 100m cabling application you  were stating (for example – is it 100m cabling per ISO/IEC 11801-1 Amd 1 T1A-100, or is it T1B-100?, or something else).  It is not uncommon to include the category of cabling in the phy reach objective, especially when there is a relevant cabling standard.

We should have plenty of time for additional discussion, but I believe that we will be best served .

Your email below raises several questions on suggested objectives for a new project:

  1. Are you proposing the new project consider a new 10 Mb/s PHY? ( your email below says to define a PHY to support 10 / 100 Mbits and 1000 Mbps)? If not, I suggest to drop the 10 from the proposed wording.  If it is important to include autonegotiation to 10BASE-T1L, then I suggest the autonegotiation objective be reworded as “support clause 98 autonegotiation between 10BASE-T1L and…. (complete the sentence based on however many phys you are recommending).
  2. I am not sure about your statement regarding ‘auto negotiation optional if in conflict with remote powering’.  Auto negotiation is usually optional.  Are you suggesting it be mandatory in other instances?
  3. Regarding remote powering – is that clause 104 remote powering, or just support some remote powering, per some specification, e.g., APL.

I’d also offer that the ‘do not preclude higher bit rate developments’ is not a well formed objective.  Unless a higher bit rate phy were defined, I wouldn’t know how to evaluate that we did that.  I’m a pretty imaginative guy.  I can almost always come up with a way to do higher bit rates, but they need to be constrained by market needs.  And, there is an inherent tension here between supporting futures and meeting the economic and technical needs of the existing broad market potential.  If here is something specific you had in mind we should say what it is and discuss it.

I hope this helps.  At this point, I am gathering this as input for the follow on study group discussion.  As I said, we will have more time to discuss it.

And please, (once more with my chair hat on) – if you have corrections to the minutes, please send then them to me.

-george