From: George Zimmerman <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, January 3, 2022 at 12:49 PM
To: "STDS-802-3-SPEP2P@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <STDS-802-3-SPEP2P@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [802.3_SPEP2P] [802.3de] Revised first sentence of 99.1 - comment 39

I’ll kick this off with a comment I received privately (thanks Piers) that I agree with.  I didn’t want to churn the proposal too much, rather letting the group discuss and reach consensus.

Piers points out that the proposed rewrite says “point-to-point link” twice in the first sentence, which is redundant:

“This clause specifies an optional MAC Merge sublayer for use on a point-to-point link with a pair of MACs and a single PHY operating on a point-to-point link. The clause is applicable to full-duplex operation with 10BASE-T1L (Clause 146) and 10BASE-T1S (Clause 147) PHYs and all PHYs 100 Mb/s and above. It is also applicable to half-duplex point-to-point operation with the 10BASE-T1S (Clause 147) PHY, but operation with the 10BASE-T1S PHY in multidrop mode is not specified."

The base text was: “This clause specifies an optional MAC Merge sublayer for use with a pair of full-duplex MACs and a single PHY operating at 100 Mb/s or higher on a point-to-point link.”

He further suggests dropping out the first instance, so that the resolution reads more like the base text, and I would agree with that, so that it reads:

“This clause specifies an optional MAC Merge sublayer for use with a pair of MACs and a single PHY operating on a point-to-point link. The clause is applicable to full-duplex operation with 10BASE-T1L (Clause 146) and 10BASE-T1S (Clause 147) PHYs and all PHYs 100 Mb/s and above. It is also applicable to half-duplex point-to-point operation with the 10BASE-T1S (Clause 147) PHY, but operation with the 10BASE-T1S PHY in multidrop mode is not specified."

Thoughts appreciated (even if it is ‘I agree’)

-george