Re: [802.3_SPEP2P] Question on 8b10b to PAM4

Hi Tingting,

Thanks for clarifying.

This is a very clever way to not just to suppress DC but guarantee a bound on the PAM4 disparity.

There is one issue I see with this and that is if one PAM4 symbol

gets damaged, both 8/10 symbols can potentially be corrupted

meaning two RS-symbols are corrupted instead of just 1.

This severely weakens the FEC protection given that there are

only 6 parity symbols in most of the proposals (I agree that 6 RS symbols is

a good number).  If 2 PAM4 symbols are corrupted in the same

RS frame and it propagates to 4 RS symbol errors then the frame

is uncorrectable.

If there is a way to contain the PAM4 symbol corruption to only one RS symbol error

then it would be good.

Thanks,

William