[802.3_SPMD] Preparation for May 18 telephonic interim

All, as was discussed on today’s SPMD Ad Hoc call, we will be looking to finalize the objectives in addition to answering/resolving and questions/comments to the PAR and CSD on the call on May 18, 2020. As we only have two hours for the meeting, we want to do as much pre-work as possible so that we can efficiently use the time. In that spirit, I list the objectives that the group approved on Jan 20, 2020 during the meeting in Geneva.

  1. Define performance characteristics of a mixing segment for 10Mb/s multidrop single balanced pair networks supporting up to at least 16 nodes, for up to at least 50m reach.
  2. Maintain a bit error ratio (BER) at the MAC/PLS service interface of less than or equal to 10-10 on the new mixing segment.
  3. Specify an optional PLCA node ID allocation method
  4. Support interoperability with Clause 147 multidrop
  5. Support optional Time Synchronization Service Interface (TSSI)
  6. Select a single MDI connector
  1. Specify improvements for Energy Efficient Ethernet compared to current 10Mb/s multidrop single balanced pair networks
  2. Support operation in the noise environments for building, industrial, and transportation applications
  3. Specify optional plug-and-play power distribution over the mixing segment
  4. PSE shall only energize the mixing segment when at least one PD is connected
  5. Support addition/removal of a node or set of nodes to a continuously operating powered mixing segment

Please note the text in red in objective 11. This is an addition to the objectives as agreed to in Geneva. I plan to motion this change in the May 18 meeting. I hope you will agree that we need to support adding or removing a PD or string of PDs without bringing down the power and with minimal disruption of data. This addition corrects this oversight.

If you have modifications you’d like to suggest to the objectives, please share them on the reflector by May 14. This will allow me time to get them into a presentation for the May 18 meeting. The goal of this is to efficiently use the time. Additionally, we can use the reflector to discuss the desired change to build consensus. We spent a considerable amount of time compiling and discussing these objectives between September 2019 and January 2020. A change to them (aside from the minor oversight like above) typically requires lots of discussion to convince the group to support. Please start that work now.

Regards,

Chad Jones

Technical Leader, Cisco Systems

Chair, IEEE P802.3cv Task Force