[802.3_SPMD] General question to the multidrop enhancements specification and objectives

Dear all, (and maybe especially dear David Law)

I have the following question to the planned activity. I already indicated it in the ad-hoc call, but would appreciate if someone can explain how the situation is.

In my understanding, the multidrop enhancements offer a number of features that may be used “stand alone” (in case a new PHY is added) or that may be used with 802.1cg. A company might choose to add the topology discovery for their next cg product but not the power over feature. Just as an example.

If now, the multidrop enhancement standard makes any feature mandatory (e.g. the connector, or a new PHY), I do not see how anyone can be standard compliant when picking e.g. just the topology discovery to go with cg, but none of the mandatory features. If there is no compliance there is no necessity to license any necessary claims. So how can it be insured that no one is sued for patent infringement based on this?

In my experience it is an essential part of standardization projects that potential implementers cannot just use parts but have to use all of the mandatory features to be entitled to licensing. Saying, oh, I like e.g. the modulation scheme of this standard, and implement it in my own, somewhat different (non-interoperable) product, does not work. Anyone buying the product might find themselves in a law suit (not just the vendor).

How is this done in the IEEE 802.3 projects? What is the intention with the multidrop enhancements and how can it be ensured that the intentions are met?

Thank you and kind regards,

Kirsten

-------------------------------------

BMW Group

Dr. Kirsten Matheus

Electrics and Electronics

Communication Technologies (EE-322)

Knorrstraße 147

80788 München

Telephone: +49 89 382 12635

Mobile: +49 151 601 12635

Mail: Kirsten.matheus@xxxxxx

Web: www.bmwgroup.com

Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft
Vorstand/Board of Management: Oliver Zipse (Vorsitzender/Chairman),
Milagros Caiña Carreiro-Andree, Klaus Fröhlich, Pieter Nota,
Nicolas Peter, Peter Schwarzenbauer, Andreas Wendt.
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Norbert Reithofer
Sitz und Registergericht/Domicile and Court of Registry: München HRB 42243