[802.3_BWA] Question from 9/27 BWA Presentation

All,

A question was raised during the 9/27 BWA Ad hoc call when reviewing the presentation provided by Baron Fung, Sameh Boujelbene, and Shin Umeda of Dell’Oro Group.   The question essentially inquired whether a 400G port was representative of 400 GbE or 4x100 or 2x200 GbE.

Here is how I posed the question to Sameh –

For your forecast for 400G ports – were these ports going to be supporting 400 GbE or could they be used in a breakout configuration such as 4x100 or 2x200 or 1x400 – but were all counted as 400G

I believe you mean they are just used as 400G ports – and depending on the modules could be used in any of these configurations.

The same question would equally apply to 100G switch ports – though that question didn’t come up directly.

Sameh’s response was

Yes John,

You are right. They are 400G ports on the switch, and depending on the modules they could be used as 4x100 or 2x200 or 1x400.

Same applies with 100G

Thanks for checking with us

Sameh

I know some individuals have noted that we should push to get more application specific data – meaning the data we should get should clearly denote if a port is being used in a specific mode, for example- 400GbE or 4x100GbE and be reported accordingly .  From a switching port perspective, I personally don’t see how such data can be determined.

Regards,

John D’Ambrosia