Re: proposal for OID root and branch assignments

Howard-

The root that you propose aligns with "legacy assignments" rather than current practice.
The current reccommendation for OID roots is now based on guidance set up by the IEEE-SA Registration Authrity

Quoted from: Allocation_of_Object_Identifier_values_in_IEEE_standards-09.pdf

To identify objects within IEEE Standards, each standard is allocated an arc under either the standards-association-numbered-series-standards (2) arc or the standards-association-c-series-standards (3) arc. The former is used for standards, such as IEEE Std 1394 or IEEE Std 802, that have a standard identifier that starts with a numeral; the latter is used for standards, such as IEEE Std C37 or IEEE Std C57, where the standard identifier starts with the letter “C”. The arc allocated to each standard is numbered according to the numeric part of the standard identifier. That is, IEEE Std 1394 would be identified by:

    iso (1) iso-identified-organization (3) ieee (111) standards-association-numbered-series-standards (2) std-1394 (1394)

The entire tutorial and explanation of the scheme within the IEEE-SA can be found at:
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/Allocation_of_Object_Identifier_values_in_IEEE_standards-09.pdf

This would be the appropriate time to make the change to the currently recommended root for IEEE Standards

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the meeting in Portland to be in on the discussions.

Best regards,

    Geoff

Dear members of the IEEE 802.3.1 Ethernet MIB modules Task Force,

attached please find a proposal for the OID root and branch
assignments for the modules defined in IEEE P802.3.1. Our
normal custom is to not disclose these assignments until a
project reaches the LMSC sponsor ballot stage. Since that
stage is rapidly approaching, we will need to discuss this
topic and reach agreement on the assignments when we meet in
Portland, OR next week.

This is a preliminary proposal, and subject to change.
The leaf assignments are already in the draft, and have not been
changed in the course of balloting, because we haven't added or
removed any objects.

Please review the proposal, and let me know what you think of it.

One item that might need further explanation is the addition of
an OID for "ieee8023efmcu". This node doesn't appear in the current
draft. I added it to the proposal so that I could branch the
"ieee8023ifCapStackMIB" and " ieee8023efmCuMIB" modules from it, both
modules being defined in Clause 11 of P802.3.1.

Howard Frazier
Broadcom Corporation
Chair, IEEE 802.3.1 Ethernet MIB modules Task Force