Draft PAR for revision of P802.3.1

Dear Members of the IEEE 802.3.1 Ethernet MIB modules Task Force,

Attached please find a draft of a proposed PAR for a revision
of IEEE Std 802.3.1 Standard for Management Information Base (MIB)
definitions for Ethernet.

As we are nearing completion of the initial project, it is time
to start the process to initiate a revision to catch the document
up so that it is synchronized and consistent with IEEE Std 802.3
Standard for Ethernet (love the new title). Please review the draft
PAR, and let me know if you have any comments. I plan to seek
approval of this PAR at the upcoming plenary session, and to
have it placed on the June IEEE-SA Standards Board meeting agenda.
Since it is a "maintenance" PAR, it need not be circulated to the
IEEE 802 EC 30 days in advance of the plenary, and we don't need
to work up a 5 Criteria slide deck.

You will note that the scope and purpose statements have been
reworded slightly in order to address comments that came up
during the initial project. We no longer use the words "future"
and "recent", and the purpose has been reworded to make it
clear that only the SNMP modules will be published in machine
readable form.

I have been asked why the PAR does not include a list of the
specific amendments to IEEE Std 802.3 that will be reflected in
the revision of IEEE Std 802.3.1. Let me first state that I fully
intend to mirror the set of amendments that are being incorporated
into the currently underway revision of IEEE Std 802.3, which means
all approved amendments through 802.3bg. I believe that this
should be captured in the project objectives, rather than the PAR,
because I don't want to have to go through the process of changing
the PAR in the event that we later decide to deviate from this plan.
This is how we did it for the initial project, and I think it
should work just fine for the revision. I will send out a draft
set of project objectives shortly.

I look forward to meeting with you in Singapore.

Howard Frazier
Broadcom Corporation
Chair, IEEE 802.3.1 Ethernet MIB modules Task Force