From: Glen Kramer <glen.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:01 AM
To: Duane Remein <dremein@xxxxxxxxx>; stds-802-3-NGEPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Curtis (CableLabs) <c.knittle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Glen Kramer <gkramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; Hajduczenia, Marek <Marek.Hajduczenia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Comment # 552 againse D2.21

Duane,

Let's break this into two separate questions. The first one is whether it is possible to re-enable an ONU remotely. The second question is whether we should describe this in the 802.3ca draft.

#1. If an ONU has all of its transmit channels disabled (but not all receive channels), it will become deregistered, either explicitly by the NMS or due to MPCP timeout. That part is true. But it does continue listening to the downstream channels, and it is not hard to devise a downstream message or a sequence of messages that by convention would cause the ONU to re-enable one or all of its transmit channels. As an example, we can require the ONU to re-enable UC0 if it receives a DISCOVERY MPCPDU with the DISC_PLID and the DA matching the MAC address of that specific ONU. Another possibility is to send CC_REQUEST to that ONU on DISC_PLID and unicast MAC.

This is not very different from the rogue ONU mitigation mechanisms in
G.Sup49:
"Those ONUs should remain Disabled and not transmit data on the PON until directed to by the OLT. The OLT may further attempt to enable the suspected ONUs one-by-one in order to identify the rogue ONU."

#2. Even though it is possible to re-enable an ONU remotely, maybe there are reasons to not cover it in 802.3ca. I think the TF should discuss this at the meeting this week.  If we decide to not describe this in the .3ca draft, then your proposed text is reasonable.

-Glen