[802.3_50G] Fwd: [802.3_50G] Link Training Coefficient Update State Diagram Ambiguity...?

Thanks Jeff & Adee for your responses & confirmation of FSM behavior under this circumstance. Some of the folks on my team were asking me about this scenario - And ultimately the root cause of confusion was whether or not updates output by the ENCODE_STS function are always transmitted to the link partner. My conclusion was that there is no transmission requirement, & your confirmation of this point is very helpful. I guess that based on this scenario & the question I received, is it worth considering adding a note to the definition of ENCODE_STS (appearing in 136.8.11.7.2 Functions) that such output may not always be transmitted...?

Thanks and Regards,

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ran, Adee <adee.ran@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 7:20 AM
Subject: RE: [802.3_50G] Link Training Coefficient Update State Diagram Ambiguity...?
To: Adrian Butter <adrian.butter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, STDS-802-3-50G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <STDS-802-3-50G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Adrian,

The scenario you describe would be triggered by an event where the remote link partner sends a frame with (a) a change in the request to “hold” and (b) a change in coef_sel, both with respect to the previous frame. This enables two transition arcs in series. If the changes are in different frames, then the transitions spaced accordingly.

As stated in 136.8.11.7.5, “The notation used in the state diagrams follows the conventions of 21.5”. In 21.5 we find that “The actions inside a state block execute instantaneously”. ENCODE_STS is defined to encode the status field but not to transmit a frame. So the intermediate status does not necessarily get transmitted before the second transition occurs.

In practice, implementations will have some processing time inside states, and the intermediate status may be transmitted for some time.

I would say that the two possible behaviors of the responding (local) device in this scenario are both compliant. If this creates ambiguity that the link partner can’t handle, then it should avoid triggering this scenario (and frankly I don’t see why it should occur at all).

Do you see a problem with any of these behaviors?

</Adee>