Re: [STDS-802-3-NGBIDI] 802.3cp D3.2 comment review

Hi Frank and all,

This meeting falls on a holiday in US and unfortunately, I will be travelling without Internet access. But since all these comments are mine, I wanted to explain the background and my position.

It is not my intention to delay the .3cp draft. I voted APPROVE with COMMENTS on the initial ballot. This time I decided to give the draft one final look and discovered the issues with how the PICS were addressed. This seemed wrong and inconsistent with the rest of the 802.3 document, as far as I can tell. I also consulted other people with more experience in creating PICS for various 802.3 projects and got a confirmation that the proper way is to have a separate PICS entry for each instance of â??shallâ?? and â??shouldâ?? in text.

But I understand that these comments were unexpected and came very late in the SA ballot process. They are also against the unchanged text. For this reason none of them are marked as â??REQUIREDâ?? and my vote still remains APPROVE. If the TF finds these issues non-significant (and the WG agrees) or if these issues can somehow be addressed by IEEE editor in pre-publication stage, that will be fine with me.  If, however, the TF decides to fix the issues and have another recirculation, I am sure the future users of this standard will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Glen