Re: [802.3_DWDM] On SC-Frame alignment

Hi Leon,

Thanks for bringing this forward, I agree we should look at it to make sure we're aligning with ITU where possible and using optimal approaches. I went through a bit of math on this today, it seemed like a useful Friday afternoon project.

I am a bit confused why you recommend using a fixed subset of frames for the OOF->IF framing. G.798 does, as you note, use an unspecified 4 byte subset. But, I was curious what the probabilities looked like

I ran calculations assuming pre FEC BER values of 5e-3 and 1e-2. Using these values I calculated the probability of achieving frame lock (OOF-> IF) in either the first two or three FAS’s to arrive after the process begins for two cases:

  1. OOF-> IF requires matching any 4/5 FAS bytes
  2. OOF-> IF requires matching a specific set of 4 FAS bytes

For case A:

Probability of framing after the first two FAS’s I calculated 97%  & 90% for 5E-3 & 1E-2 pre FEC BER. Probability of framing after 3 FAS’s: 99.9% amd 99% for the same BERs.

For case B:

Probability of framing after the first two FAS’s I calculated 73% & 53% for 5E-3 & 1E-2 pre FEC BER. Probability of framing after 3 FAS’s: 92% and 77% for the same BERs.

I didn’t look at the OOF-> IF transition yet, but maybe before Geneva.

On your point regarding separating the Frame alignment from Lane alignment, I’m in agreement with separating the processes.

Regards,  Eric