[802.3_DWDM] 400GBASE-ZR PCS/PMA

Dear experts,

While reviewing lyubomirsky_3cn_01b_0119 (the one referred in the passed motion: “Adopt the baseline proposal for 400GBASE-ZR PCS/PMA”) I noted that it is based on an old OIF IA version (the one available at the motion adoption date). Since then OIF continued developing the IA, the last OIF IA version we received as a liaison was OIF2017.245.14 from October 2019.

While most of the PCS/PMA did not change between the IA versions, I found that the location of the PMA was changed (compare lyubomirsky_3cn_01b_0119 slide 5 with OIF2017.245.14 bottom of Figure 6). My understanding is that many of the blocks shown in those figures are implemented inside the DSP, so it is not immediately obvious to me where the PMA/PCS interface shall be located.

There may be other changes that I missed that could have an impact on drafting 802.3cw.

I think we should update the motion and base it on the most advanced available OIF IA version, and I would appreciate any comments regarding this issue.

Best regards,

Leon